I booked a project space in order to get the work for the whole year out and recorded. It was also useful in terms of working out the best relationships between different components of installation work.
I had the benefit of Joan Smith and Stuart Bennett who came at different times through the day to discuss my work with me. Towards the end of the day students, tutors, family and friends came in for a while too.
Another year draws to a close
So much has been covered this year. There are many pluses that offset anything that could be construed as a minus.
My Peploe response was unfortunately not selected, but - I have learned so many skills along the way that I am already bringing into studio work that in balance the disappointment is put to rest. I have mastered certain components of Photoshop, Illustrator and Laser Cutter technology which is huge given my lack of experience and confidence.
I have also mastered screen printing which has become quite an important component in the work I bring into the studio. I still have to work out colour combinations but really I am quite certain that next year I will do this.
In addition to Peploe, an external project, I have taken part in one shared project space, one solo project space with guests, Clarendon House which comprised all of 3rd year art students plus a 3rd year painting show.
Max, very kindly made up the last board I painted on this year. It turned out to be huge! Not to be dismayed I tackled it with gusto, covering all the surface of it with paint in order to start making sense of it. I had done so much work prior to this painting, plus compositional studies in my sketch book that it did take shape quite quickly. I also found that by using cloths instead of brushes, I could coat the surface with light layers allowing for colours and texture to shine through.
The painted totems I had initially thought to add to the surface of the painting did not work as I had planned. I had put strips of masking tape to indicate where they were to go and also to ensure that the surface would remain smooth for the glue. Once these strips were lifted, they left trace elements - so much more in keeping withthe general theme - so I worked with that instead. The totems worked better on either side of the painting, leading into and through the painting and out the other side.
I really enjoyed using paint again. However, I was not as pleased with the result as I had thought I would be. As closure it worked to a degree but by far it showed I far I had come in regards to painting, material usage and concepts.
I am looking forward to taking part in this year's 8th 3 Harbour Festival.
Carol E Duff